Software Testing Life Cycle (STLC) – Complete Tutorial
Software Testing Life Cycle process is an integral part of the Software Development Life Cycle. The overall aspect of STLC phase deals with testing and rectifying any error code generating within the program under various test conditions.
What is STLC?
STLC is simply a testing phase in the SDLC development. Validation and Authentication is tried and tested in this phase. The only limitation of this cycle is that it is limited to respective individual phase and is carried out by a group of skilled testers and technology evangelistic.
STLC Life Cycle
Like SDLC, STLC has fixed phases which is mentioned in hierarchy below:
- TEST PLANNING – Preparing the test strategy & planning
- TEST DEVELOPMENT – Creating the testing environment
- TEST EXECUTION – Writing the test cases/Creating & Executing the Test Script
- RESULT ANALYSIS – Analysis result and Bug report
- BUG TRACKING - Analyse Bugs and application errors
- REPORTING – This is a post conditional process which involves collecting data from end users
Difference Between SDLC and STLC
As we can see that SDLC and STLC have some common aspects but they differ completely from each other. SDLC vs STLC is a complex debate and hence we have provided some examples to make this point clear -
1. STLC is a part of SDLC. It is like a SET and a SUBSET. We cannot have STLC running individually on its own. It needs to wait for its roll call before implementing its phases.
2. STLC is limited to Testing software module. SDLC is rather a vast model with more inputs and executions.
3. STLC is the most important part of the SDLC life cycle. One cannot release the final product without running it through STLC process.
4. STLC team requires skilled developers and Testers. The efficiency demand is rather high here in comparison to other parts of the SDLC module.
5. STLC is also a part of the post release update cycle. The bug fixes and end user reports are logged by the application. This log is checked and fixed while building and releasing the new version of the software or Program module.
You should now have a firm understanding about the Software Testing Life Cycle. If you should not understand any point in this tutorial you can ask back in the comment section. I will make sure all your queries are individually replied and explained.